Topic: Know your Sweeteners
For health concious mommies, here's an alternatives if you are cutting out sugar.
1. Stevia - extracted from Stevia plant with 150x sweeter than sugar but 0 calories and fat.
2. Splenda - or known as sucralose. A calorie free about 600x sweeter than table sugar. It is best for drinks, just keep it to 1-2 packets.
3. Honey - Per teaspoon, it contains more carbohydrates and calories than standard sugar. It is also got minerals and anti-oxidants. Best for yogurt and not beverages. Drizzle on 1st teaspoon maximum.
4. Coconut sugar - harder to find, but can get B vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.
5. Agave Nectar - Per teaspoon, it contains more calorie and fructose than sugar. It is best for cocktails but maintain it to 1 teaspoon.
6. Raw sugar - same as table sugar, with small amount of Calcium and Potassium. It is used for baking crusts and toppings.