Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Topic: Home Remedies for Colic in Babies
Colic trouble is very common in babies. Instead of losing sleep over it, we can try some safe home remedies to counter the same.
Babies, especially newborns, are most likely to suffer from colic. Colic can be distinguished when the baby cries continuously and is inconsolable. Although doctors aren't sure of the reasons causing colic, it is very common in babies usually up to the age of 4 months.
You can always try some harmless home remedies before taking the baby to the doctor. Here are some.
1. After every feed, make sure that the baby is burped properly. It is one of the most common reasons why colic occurs. Put the baby on your shoulders and pat her on the back for a couple of minutes. If the baby still doesn’t burp, make her lie on her stomach and try rubbing her back.
2. In India, gripe water is usually the go-to medicine when babies are colicky. You can make your own gripe water at home. Just boil a teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water and let it cool down. Strain the liquid and using a dropper, give the baby a couple drops every four hours to cure colic.
3. Try to soothe the baby by rocking her. These days there are a variety of electronic rockers available in the market that should conveniently do the job.
4. Control the amount of feeding. In some babies, excessive feeding can cause gas . So feed only little at a given time.
5. A massage with lukewarm mustard or coconut oil can prove beneficial to the baby. Massage the oil in circles around the stomach area. It is important to make sure that the oil is warm.
6. Mothers breastfeeding the baby should stay away from gaseous foods as much as possible for the benefit of the baby.
In spite of trying these above mentioned remedies, if the colic still persists, consult your pediatrician.