Embed topic to your site

Teaching your child to read

Topic: Teaching your child to read

http://yepmom.com/img/m/7888/587f9107273ca5.71827944.jpg

Because of Youtube, my children learned the ABC, the shapes, numbers and everything without me teaching them. But teaching my child how to read is something that I know my child will really need my guidance.

And as a new mom I know it will be challenging for us to teach them to read. Because it will actually need a lot of patient and time.

And here are some steps on how to teach your child to read:

1. Read to your child - It is not only  a special bonding between you and your child but also it instills in her a love for book.

2. Ask questions - It is not only great for encouraging your child to interact with the book but it also effective in developing his ability to comprehend what he is reading.

3. Be a good example - Even if your child is fascinated in reading books this fascination is can be easily be gone if he doesn't see anyone in your home as a reading model. So even if you are not an avid reader yourself, make a conscious effort to let your children see you reading at least a few minutes a day.

4. Identify letters in natural settings -  At around age of 2 1/2 your child will start asking the letters. And that is how they learned to spell. I remember my child sometimes asking me about a signage. She said "Mama why is there an ABC there" (she was actually referring to the letters on the signage). In technical term that is called environmental print.