Embed topic to your site

Chocolate-Potato Cake

Topic: Chocolate-Potato Cake

https://yepmom.com/img/m/7983/58aca819d25540.51315946.jpg
Yes it is exactly how it sounds, this chocolate cake is made with potatoes. Not just any potatoes, your leftover mashed potato's that usually get thrown out or go to waste. 

Who knew such a recipe existed. Apparently it originated with the Irish, go figure with their abundance of potatoes and all. 

The only recipe I was aware of that used leftover potatoes was maybe for a shepherd's pie. So I was pretty excited when I found this recipe. I'll actually be sharing a bunch of recipes with all you YepMom's because my aunt recently gave me about 10 really old cookbooks. I couldn't be more excited! I love cooking and reading old recipes and learning new things about baking or cooking is so much fun for me. I had to share with you ladies as well. The reason I'm sharing this first one is I just thought it was so useful to use up leftovers. That's always an impossible task in my house. 

So here it is:

Chocolate-Potato Cake Recipe

Ingredients: 

• 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate

• 1 cup of butter

• 2 cups of sugar

• 4 eggs, beaten

• 1 cup cold mashed potatoes

• 2 large cups of flour

• 2 tsp. baking soda

• 1 cup of sour milk - Note: to make sour milk, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to sweet milk; stir.

• 2 tsp. vanilla extract

Melt chocolate with butter; cool. Mix sugar and eggs; add mashed potatoes, chocolate and butter. Then mix flour, baking soda, milk and vanilla extract. Pour into greased, four-dusted 8 x 12 x 2 1/2 inch pan or three 8 inch layer cake tins. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Let cool and then remove from pans. 

Frost the cake only after it has completely cooled. Once finished you could just say it's chocolate cake and no one would know the difference.

Have you heard of this recipe before? Do you have other recipes that are great for using up leftovers?