Embed topic to your site

Why is my child an angel at school but a nightmare at home?

Topic: Why is my child an angel at school but a nightmare at home?

My daughter is a beautiful, wonderful feisty child who's recently been testing our patience at every opportunity. She won't listen to a word we say, gets angry at the drop of a hat and actively defies us.

But at school, she's an absolute angel. She comes home from school with a gold star almost every day and the teachers praise her behavior, saying they never have to tell her twice. She's the first in the class to help her classmates.

Is it because she's more afraid of the teachers than she is of us? Is it because she works so hard at being good at school that by the time she gets home she has to act out?

No one quite believes that this sweet little girl turns into a tyrant the moment she gets home!

Re: Why is my child an angel at school but a nightmare at home?

Maybe because she loves how her teacher praise her or more comfortable of doing silly things. But it is also best if you could ask your child about it. smile

Explore the reasons behind that action with your child. Subtly ask her if she's feeling something wrong. Kids who act like that tend to do so just to get their mother's/father's attention because they wanted to be praised, etc.

Your child just feels safe at home. It's a good thing. Home is her safe place. Children often act out when they feel like they are loved and supported. I heard a friend once say "it's because a mother bear never eats her cubs" In other words, the little ones know that you are not going to strangle them for being themselves.

I've read somewhere that throwing tantrums, biting and other behaviors of children are their freedom of expression. For babies, it could also be their way of saying "i love you", "i need you" etc. With proper guidance, it could wear off as they mature.