Embed topic to your site

The Importance of Reading with Your Children

Topic: The Importance of Reading with Your Children

http://yepmom.com/img/m/7969/588381e933ba43.84894833.jpg

Taking the time to read with your children is so important for their growing minds. It's not just a perfect bonding time, but a way to get their imagination moving at full speed. In this post I want to share some tips to make reading to your child a fun task that will lead to a love of reading as they get older.

The first thing I always tell people who read to their children is PLEASE do the silly noises, give the characters different voices, make the faces the characters would make. Doing this helps the child's imagination soar and creates a picture in their head. Also it makes reading a fun task for them and not just a learning experience. 

Another tip I want to share for kids that are learning to read. As you read to your child, have them in your lap and as you read the book to them use your finger to point at each word as you read it. This trick with help them match the sound with the word in the book, with repetition, this will help to make it easier as your child begins to recognize the words.

Lastly, if you have the time, read at least 20 mins a night/day. This ensures that your child is getting quality bonding time, a good amount a learning time that to them just seems like fun. Also, letting them choose the book can show you what they like reading so that you can purchase similar ones to keep their imagination flowing!

I hope you and your little ones enjoy this time together as much as mine do, and I would love to hear any tips or tricks you have come across in the times that you are reading to your little ones!!!