Embed topic to your site

Struggles of getting Medical Equipment for Children with Disabilities

Topic: Struggles of getting Medical Equipment for Children with Disabilities

http://yepmom.com/img/m/7969/588404ab494f12.44739212.jpg

As a mom of 2 girls with disabilities, I know the struggles of finding the right medical equipment needed for their specific needs, and getting insurance to cover them since the prices on most are ridiculously high. In this post I want to share a few tips that really helped getting what you need for your little ones.

The first thing I can tell you is never be scared to ask your child's doctor for anything, they are there to provide support and give you referrals and medical orders as you need them. With your doctor on your side, it's easier to get things covered by the insurance. 

Secondly, DON'T fear your insurance, my children's insurance knows me by name because I call so much. Talking with your insurance on a regular basis keeps you and them up to date on everything going on and can help to get through the process of placing orders through your insurance by the doctor to have your medical equipment covered. 

Third, be patient. I can't stress this one enough, unless it's emergency medical equipment it will take some time to get to you. Walkers and wheel chairs can take the longest, but for most kids with disabilities, it's well worth the wait.

Lastly, when talking to your doctor, make sure you are very specific on the item you are wanting for your child, the more specific your doctors equipment order is, the more you will get exactly what you want. Also, talking to your insurance ahead of time and finding company's in your insurance network is a great help to your doctor. I usually find ones in my network first, then call the company to make sure they can get what I need and then give that information to my child's doctor so that it doesn't take extra time for them to have to look everything up. 

I hope these tips have helped you along your journey to getting your child any equipment they may need to help make them stronger fighters! If you have any tips you want to share that I have missed, please leave them in the comments below!! wink